Sign in to follow this  
Direck

hello

I keep getting a java error when I try, have for months.  No JVM could be found on your system.  Please define EXE4J_JAVA_Home to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from www.java.com.

I have updated java numerous times, (64-bit).

Uninstall magelo completely.  Uninstall Java.  Reinstall Java 32 bit, Reinstall Java 64, reinstall magelo.

They have this problem every so often.

Edited by Ghaz

Fascinating things about Java, Magelo and windows 10

if you had Java JRE installed when you were a windows 7 Machine and upgraded to windows 10 like most of the world did, a new JRE was installed, BUT the conversion grabbed a piece of registry that pointed to where windows 7 had it installed. Windows 10 also installs a Java updater! Handy right? NO.

The Java updater does keep your java version current, but what it does not do is repair the registry of the broken pointer.

Chances are you have a perfectly good version of java installed but windows cant find it.

In the current release of Java JRE there is a 32 and 64 bit version.

the install for the 32 bit sets the windows pointer to drive:/windows/Program Files (x86) which is dandy! if you have a 32 bit machine- think  year 2000... you probably dont have one of these

In order for your fancy computer to run java it needs java 64 bit version - which RESETS the windows pointer to drive:/windows/Program Files

as of today java is installed here C:\Program Files\Java

Since you installed Magelo years ago when you had that windows 7 machine, your magelo thinks your java is installed in drive:/windows/Program Files (x86) because the magelo installer uses the windows 7 registry tag to find your java path, which is still stuck in your pc from the windows 10 upgrade.

Deleting magelo and reinstalling it only reinforces magelo's idea that your registry knows where java is. 

Ok all that is fascinating, how can i fix it?

Environmental path!

In windows 10, go to settings

image.png

In the box type envir

click the top suggestion

image.png

Click the button that says environmental variables

mouse click Path under System Variables and hit edit

Look for C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath

if it is not there add it using the new button

image.png

The reason we use this method, is because new java releases are versioned and if we hard code a version path it will break on update.

Now lets make sure we just pointed to a good thing!

hit windows key and E

type the path we assigned

image.png

If you see java.exe on your screen your DONE!

If you do not see java.exe listed as you do here,

Hit windows key and E

click this pc

in the search bar at right type java.exe  

Go get a coffee this will take a few...

You will get all kinds of weird results as it works

image.png

But what we are looking for is the latest Java.exe

How do you know which one to pick? well it should be the one with the drive:\programfiles\java\jre\version\bin

Note the JRE!

Now, i know there is 100 ways to copy in windows.  but we need to copy that file to our pointed environmental path

So click the home tab, then copy to, then chose location, then type the  path we made in the folder  area

image.png

Hit copy!

Now your DONE!

Edited by Narogg
  • Like 1

Mine that I had issues on was also a native 10 machine.  When I contacted Magelo, that's the resolution they gave me and it worked. /Shrug

5 hours ago, Wolana Phoenixfyre said:

I will try this. But my machine is a native Win 10 machine-- never had Win 7 on it! So your preliminary explanation isn't... an explanation for my having the same problem :)

OK simple check to see if your path is working

Windows Key and R

Type CMD and hit enter

type Java and hit enter

If you do not see this, then the previous post should fix your issue

image.png

If you do see this then you have one of them special computers that needs to be boxed up, and sent to me for further study as a specimen with a rare disease.

42 minutes ago, Wolana Phoenixfyre said:

Sorry, Charlie... I will just do w/o Magelo :)

That's precisely what I see

LOL as a pc tech i would love to see a video of your errors you get on Discord install, magelo load, Gina install, or a Gamparse install. Perhaps even a video on how your acquiring the software your installing.

Fascinating...

So I Dug hard.

Magelo is a Java program that was wrappered using JAR2EXE. This software is now defunct and no longer sold, but it used to be a license software, This was also during the days of Java 5. 

During the configuration of this packaging utility one has to set the path to the jvm.dll, jre or set the environment variable.

I believe magelo chose to config with an environment variable named JAVA_HOME

What we did earlier was set the System Variable Named Path

Try  going back into the environmental variables and adding this new one.

image.png

Report back if this fixes the issue please. I spent HOURS on this.

Wolana  install this http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=230542_2f38c3b165be4555a1fa6e98c45e0808

Edited by Narogg
  • Like 1